Within the First Month
Gather all documents and keep in a binder for easy access.
- Will or Trust Documents
- Husband’s Birth Certificate
- Marriage License
- Husband’s Death Certificate from funeral home or county of residence
- Husband and Widow’s Social Security numbers, for benefits (ssa.gov)
- Retirement accounts from husband’s employer
- Bank and brokerage statements
- Insurance policies-life, home, auto, disability, long-term care, mortgage insurance. If no Life Insurance Policy found
- check: The American Council of Life Insurance gives hints on how to check for policies (acli.com)
- Veteran’s Administration documentation– Department of Veteran’s Affairs (va.gov)
People To Contact
- Set up a filing system to keep track of all paperwork.
- Consider using colored file folders to keep records together.
Accounting tax related (Red)
Banking statements (Blue)
Financial Investments statements (Green)
Government social security, VA benefits (Orange)
Insurance life, home, auto (White)
Legal estate documents (Black)
Medical information (Yellow)
- Keep a list of tasks completed, in process, and yet to do