Some Statistics About Widowhood
As a widow you are not alone but part of a large sisterhood of women.
- Every year more than 700,000 women find themselves widowed in the United States.
- When a woman is widowed, on average, she loses 75% of her support base.
- The average widow will be on her own for fourteen years.
- The poverty rate for widows is much higher than for married women. In fact, 13.4% of widows at age 65 who received Social Security Survivor’s Benefits were below the poverty line in 2008.*
- By age the age of 65, 45% of women widowed.
- Life insurance can help provide for widow’s needs. Only about 62% of couples have life insurance.
- Financial management is important for everyone. About 70% of couples with children have trouble paying their bills now.